cornball news now
These are the headlines on CNN.com as of pre-dawn today. I don’t see how I even need to editorialize to convey the problem.
I’ve bolded the items that seem newsier.
- 3 killed in shootings near Texas A&M
- System fails to spot man on JFK runway
- Zimmerman team wants judge removed
- Police: Girlfriend locked away for years
- China’s ‘most wanted’ man killed
- Police: Thai pol kills ex-wife with Uzi
- Wildfire threatens 100 Wash. homes
- Teacher on FBI child porn list
- 17-foot python found in Florida
- ‘Weirdest thing’ floats in South Pacific
- Mars ‘Mohawk Guy’ inspires Obama
- Police: Bride stabs groom in heart HLN
- Islamic group poised to suspend Syria
- ‘Imperial’ Egypt leader or step forward?
- A Saudi city exclusively for women
- Neo-Nazis flash mobs raid Germany
- ‘Onion Field’ killer dies in prison
- Why Brangelina buck tradition
- Facebook helps free jailed brothers
- Pit bull adopts goat as puppy
- YouTube escapes Google crackdown
- Scanners tracking your car? Time
- Red Sox legend Pesky dies
- Tricky post-Olympics for U.S. hoops
- Greatest Olympian of 21st century?
- VH1 pulls ‘Ev and Ocho’ after arrest
… everything else seems relatively prurient or niche-y. And take away the items involving a gun death you get just three newsy stories. Is CNN.com the “local news” site for the national small town?